Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thrifty Thursday - Food Co-ops

I try to feed my family as many fruits and veggies as possible. Hubby is a bit resistant ot the vegetables, but we go through fruit at an amazing speed in this house. I could easily spend upwards of $30 a week on produce at the grocery store.

Then my mom sent me a link about a local produce co-op. They have diferent pick-up sites around town. Basically you order a basket every other week, and it is filled with fruits and veggies. You don't get to choose what you recieve, but we are generally happy with the contents. The best part is it only costs $15 and although we usually run out of fruit a few days early, the veggies last us the whole two weeks. They usually offer bread as well, and occasionally other things like olive oil and spices.

Go online and search - there may be a food co-op in your area and they can save you a bundle.

No comments: